Friday, June 5, 2009

Big Brother Gets It Right


My best friend used to live in like the third house up from that sketchy tunnel. Talk about close proximity! Anyway, it never really felt all that unsafe. There were always people walking around, so long as you didn't go *in* the tunnel it was well lit... it just didn't strike me as a real "trouble spot" until we were almost bike-jacked. 

One drunk guy tried to knab my bicycle as I was walking it home. He was with a group of guys that clearly wanted no part of his machismo malarkey.  I acted like an idiot and fought back, involving the group of guys who very well could have shot us, which is not an unheard of occurance at that corner. Anyway, it cost me only a busted lip, remarkably managing to keep my bike. It was one of those "you shoulda seen the other guy" moments that makes me a little proud and a little surprised at seeing my own barbarism rear its head. 

I don't know that I much like the idea of crime cameras, but I'd rather no one else have to deal with something so gratuitiously avoidable.  Frankly, I think a camera would go along way to making the not unheard of unheard. So, I dare say: Good job, Big Brother!

Ugh. I feel dirty just typing it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment