Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Practice Fail

Yoga isn't always graceful. And you can't be afraid to look like a big dummy sometimes.

I'm a firm believer in the importance of levity. Approaching your practice with gravitas is one thing, being stern and miserable while practicing is quite another. You don't have to be serious to be serious.

The old employee shirts (of which I own many) at the DC Improv were emblazoned with a great Oscar Wilde quote: "Life's too important to be taken seriously."

Succinct!

There are so many things wrong with the video that follows. I was obsessing over angles, and (vanity!) how lined up I was-- reaching out and drawing in muscularly, but managing to do neither mentally. I wasn't, as some other yogis say, "being present."

I'm glad I think to record my practices here and there: it brings levity to my practice and gives my ego a good what-for.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG that is the most awesome yoga vid i have ever seen i feel like that clip is a perfect representation for how my week is going!! thankyou for that!!

Post a Comment