Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Savin' a Few [Star] Bucks

Prices Fall To Match A New Frugality - washingtonpost.com:
"Starbucks dropped the price of a medium iced coffee last week to just under $2."


The Post today talked about the lowering costs of, well lets just say it, frivolous items. We're talking about the introduction of "recessionista" products and product lines from such diverse retailers as Pottery Barn, Rock & Republic, and even Coach, the venerable handbag producer. Diverse in actual product output, yes, but a very clear overlap in consumer base, huh?

This coming from a boy who just spent a ton of money on a haircut. But, ya know, I am attempting frugalityAs I've mentioned before, I gave up only-better-than-Folgers chain coffee a while ago and haven't looked back. I save a good amount over the corporate guys, but its got me thinking: what other items have dropped in price?

As crazy as it seems to some, I try pretty hard not to eat food out of a box-- which saves me money (yay bulk barley) and costs me more (booo spelt pasta prices). Are my pantry staples going to get a recessionista overhaul? It seems only fair. Going to the Farmer's Market is terribly pricey, but cost is only one part of the "value" equation, right?

I know that I've begun to value-shop for deals on my seafood, as the variance in prices between the fishmonger, Safeway, and Whole Foods is dramatic, but I also factor in things like convenience (relative), quality (of the product) and impact (who's benefiting from my dollar). It does managed to save me a lot of money each week-- 15-20 dollars over the course of a few pounds of fish, but is it less expensive this year than last? 

Doubtful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment