Thursday, May 21, 2009

Strong Personality, Being Who You Are

The Unlikely Yoga King of Los Angeles - NYTimes.com
"And then the teacher walked in. He had a gray crew cut, a message-free tank top and shorts, without a Buddhist bead or Sanskrit phrase visible anywhere.

“Come on people, let’s get started,” he said in a New York accent, as if leading a conference call.

Then he cranked up “Misty Mountain Hop” by Led Zeppelin and led the students through a warm-up of sun salutations. Soon he had them stretching into a difficult split pose."

Today, The Times  had a great article on one Vinnie Marino. They're calling him the "Yoga King," and while I'm not sure where they got that *ahem* lovely title for him, I will say that the guys teaching style sounds way up my alley.  Perhaps the name is meant to evoke that Rock (Dwayne Johnson, as he's known now) movie from a few years ago. You know, The Scorpian King. .. truth be told, I wouldn't mind Scorpian King as MY yoga nickname, but whateves. He's 50, looks 40, and appears as though he could whoop most twenty year old's kiesters. 

What struck me from the article was his self awareness and comfort in his own skin. He worked to better himself (having beaten drug addiction and tablewaiting) and teaches from a place that is true and right for him. If he comes with any pretense, it seems to come from a good place. Oh, and he knows that there are things with which he isn't perfect.

I think that speaks to the high quality of his character which speaks to the honesty of his personality, and I think the quality of a character is important:  I'd like to be the sort of teacher that has both.

To wit:

One of my students had an issue with my playlist yesterday. The student felt that the music had too much of a driving beat, that it went in a different direction when juxtaposed with the asana. In plain terms: He couldn't relax. 

I don't stick to sitars and harmoniums in my class: you're as likely to find Kelis as you are Krishna Das.  I know full well that you can't please everybody.  But, it will please me to edit the music selection next week for my student. Ideally, I'll find something with sitars and solemn/sacred incantations so that he can get a little somethin' somethin'. I don't need to please everybody, but I appreciate the challenge of spinning a new playlist just for him. It doesn't take away from my character to help him, and I'm glad that for as strong as my personality is in class, he wasn't intimidated to voice his opinion. This evokes the yama of satya (a little), and the yama of anekantavada (a lot): the notion that truth and reality are perceived differently from diverse points of view, and that no single point of view is the complete truth. 

One of the things that I find most compelling about the article and the playlist snafu is how the tastes of some yogis are so particular: My students at a different facility went so far as to compliment the very same routine and playlist combo the day prior.

It is important, for me, to realize that it is more than okay if my particular style of yoga isn't for everybody. Not being someones favorite teacher doesn't keep me from opening the hearts for other students. The act of doing the very best that any of us can rewards us when we are honest with our actions and intentions.  It is better for my students and my character to be honest and to teach in a way that is true to my personality.

"Character gives a strong personality to man. People respect a man who has a good character. Moral people [those who adhere to the yamas and niyamas] command respect everywhere. He who is honest, sincere, truthful, kind and liberal-hearted always commands respect and influence of the people. Sattivic virtues make a man divine... Even if he speaks a word there is a power in it and people are magnetized. Character building is of paramount importantce if a man wants to develop a personality. The practice of virtue is indispensable."

--Swami Sivananda from "Easy Steps to Yoga"

1 comment:

~Penelope said...

I think it speaks to your teaching too, that the student would rather ask you to tweak your play list than to just go to another class. :)
Happy almost birthday midcity!

Post a Comment