Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Someone At The Post Liked Working Today

Traffic Yam: Sweet Potatoes Block Lane on I-295 North - washingtonpost.com

"Call it a traffic yam.

A tractor-trailer loaded with sweet potatoes has lost its load."

Someone really enjoyed going in to work at the Post today. I absolutely LOVE clever headlines! Especially the kind of clever that also elicits a groan.

I'm reminded of a story from my younger days: One morning, at like 5 am, I was coming home from DC. I was still in High School, and probably had no business being out all night, but I was staying the night at Phoenix's.  

I digress. As I was saying, coming from Alexandria proper and making my way towards High School in King George, Virginia (90 miles or so away), I needed to cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, an old drawbridge notorious for delaying commuters (they've since built a new one that terrorizes commuters to a much lesser degree).

Anyway, when I tried to cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, well, I failed. Bumper to motherfrakin' bumper. Parking lot status. We were there so long, I got to see the sun come up. Or, ya know, would have had I not fallen asleep in the car.

The reason for this sticky situation? Maple Syrup. 

If only these calamities could have coincided. I'd have eaten 
my way out! My teachers didn't buy the reason I was late, but luckily, they didn't care much, either! 

Yay public schools!

No comments:

Post a Comment