Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Most Fun You Can Have On Top Of The Sheets



"I told you to get on your knees! Not get on MY knees!"
-- how we knew we wouldn't be dating

I'm used to guys getting on their knees for me, but this isn't quite what the dirty boy in me had in mind. 

The guys in this videos are pretty outrageous. Their contortion and balancing abilities are inspiring. I hestitate to call it "yoga", but it for sure is asana-based contortion. 

I find this sort of dual asana enticing and compelling. As you may know, I practice often with Meghan Guilino, whose backbends are killer. She's 125lbs on a "thick" day, but she's also strong, tall, and though I have 70lbs (not for long) on her, we tend to get our partner yoga on damn well. Meghan and I have even hosted a small partner yoga clinic.

The notion of giving ones trust to a partner completely has very clear resonance on an off the mat. Allowing a partner to sit on your feet while they pull your head until the back is a complete circle and your timid toes are on  suddenly your now not so faraway forehead doesn't seem so scary when in the context of the microcosm of a studio's four walls. You need to implicitly and truly trust. And when you do, you can soar to new heights, bend to new lows, and perhaps find freedom in surrender.

How often are we able to give ourselves so completely to the world? With our lovers? Our friends?  

I'm a wolfish Type A dressed in the sheepish garb of a Type B. This week I've been given lots of opportunities to surrender (hours of ink, a solid nutrition plan, bed times) and I'm feeling all the better for it. Where do you have trouble letting go?

No comments:

Post a Comment