Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Summer Ready: New Frozen Treats!


Pitango Gelato

"Instead of merely using commodity ingredients that are standard in the industry, we actually go to extremes to acquire 'extreme ingredients.' For example, we use not just fresh milk or organic milk, but grass-fed organic milk. And we go the extra mile for every single ingredient, from the Bronte Pistachios that we fly in ourselves to our fresh fruits and our premium chocolates. We are not looking for deals or discounts; our suppliers know that if they have an exceptional product we'll pay the exceptional price."

So, umm, we're getting Fancy Shmancy X-treme Cream.

Let me tell you a story: Once upon a time ago, there were not one, but TWO amazing cold-treat options within stumbling distance from my house. First, there was a Jamba Juice inside the Whole Foods. Second, when they first opened that monstrosity of a building across the street, there was a TCBY

I know what you're saying: "But Fatty! We HATE chains!" I know, I know. For all of you chain-haters, and I am a firmly avowed member of that sect, this might sound like utter dreck. Jamba Juice? Boooo... TCBY? Hisss....

Sure, sure, but as far as Fatty Daddy over here is concerned, there is/was/will be nothing better than fat-free peanut butter frozen yogurt in the middle of summer. Nothing.

When the TCBY left, I was heart broken. When the Jamba Juice vanished, I cried. I persevered, and even learned to make my own tasty icy treats (mostly booze).

Everything old seems to be new again!

Enter: Pitango Gelato

With advocates throughout Baltimore, Pitango is flying high with a new expansion onto the 1400 block of P Street, right between the Wachovia and the Lululemon!

There are lots and lots of 5 Star reviews on Yelp, which sure does bode well. I don't know if this will end up being one of those twice the price-twice the buisness dealies, but if that darn stationary store can hold out, I'm sure a gelato joint has a chance.

What're some Yelpers saying?

"By far the best gelato I've had outside of Italy." -- Tu-Van

"Went in with high expectations and Pitango met them."- Ji K.

"The cappucinos are also perfectly reminiscent of Italy, and they serve as excellent hangover cures." -- YelpSucks L.

It can't be all good, can it? Well, there were a few in the minority who thought that the selection was little low (I imagine they rotate flavors regularly, with over 25 different varieties listed on their site). 

The number one negative? Like everything new in my little neighborhood:

"It is very expensive."

I bet it is. I think Meghan paid six bucks for half a pint of Dulcezza at the Farmer's Market this past Sunday, so we'll see how it goes. In the meantime: woo hoo. If there is a chance for me to get peanut butter gelato, I'm in. 

And, if uber-pricey gelato isn't your thing, theres *always* my go to: Mr. Yogato.

1 comment:

Sean Robertson said...

Pitango is quite good, but I think I still like Gifford's downtown better (I know, gelato vs. ice cream). I did not think ti was all that expensive, BTW. Seemed reasonable for the quality, at least.

Post a Comment