Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Summer Ready





Its quite easy to start bitching about gaining weight. I'm a marathon runner, yoga teacher, and pretty damn active guy. I also really, really dig food. One of my greatest passions is eating. This leads to me getting fatty fat fat.

I used to be much, much bigger than I am now, and have managed to keep between 80 and 110lbs off for (gasp) a decade come this October.  

Early last September, I decided to take what I dubbed "The Tara Challenge," named for my dear friend Tara McRedie. In as few words as possible, it meant that every meal that I ate solo I had to prepare myself. I especially wanted to focus on minimizing anything that came from a box. Your's truly was finally learning to cook! As it turns out, I don't just like eating, I really like the craft of preparing a meal, too. Since early September, I've only cheated once (in the guise of a bagel omelet from Cosi).  

Then came January. I've been lushtastic for as long as I've been svelte, but after realizing that the sauce was keeping me from my potential as a yoga practitioner, I decide to severely limit my hooch. No drinks after work, no casual happy hour, no "de-stressing" via alcohol. Period.  It was like a Tara Reid Challenge, a sort of self imposed rehab.

Drinking was to be minimized to very special occasions. Wild nights out and single glasses of wine had the same effect, generally speaking, on my life. Useless calories, stupid hangovers, inflexibility, and a lack of clarity in general all came from the same bottle. So, I decided to limit my drinks to 10 Wild Cards. One drink or ten, a wild card is in play for 36 hours. 

I've stuck to it, and still have 2 Wild Cards left, right on schedule  Hooray!

I've also been lifting between four days a week since January 2nd. I've been following the Lee Hayward 12 Week Plan, which I've now modified. As of Saturday, I've changed my diet as well. 

More on each topic as the week goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment